Monday 25 July 2011

Thing 4: Current awareness

This Thing has introduced me to two tools that I had always thought about using before, but had never quite managed.  Until now, my current awareness activities has involved periodically checking my, very long, list of favourites in my browser.  While they are organised into folders and subfolders, it is still quite time-consuming checking each site in a particular list.  The other way I stay aware is by subscribing to several JISCMail lists.  However, I am definitely excited by the tools I have tried today.

Twitter

So firstly, Twitter.  I have finally, after much deliberating, joined Twitter (@LRendle).  My initial thoughts are that I will probably use it more to stay up to date with the latest news and developments through following others, rather than tweeting myself, as I don’t feel I have much to contribute yet and I am still finding my feet.  However, I have sent my first tweet and will try to contribute when I can.  It has brought home the fact that I really do need to find a photo of myself to use on these networking sites, which I shall try to do as soon as possible.

RSS

Although an introduction to RSS  Until now.  Having investigated Google Reader as part of this course I can’t believe I didn’t try it sooner!  I have spent some time creating lists of various blogs and websites that I have listed in my favourites and can see how it will save me time as I will only have to check one place for updates.  At the moment I will use it mainly for CPD23 and other library feeds, as well as some travel related ones.  Having said that, it was not completely without hiccups – I accidently marked everything in one folder as read before having read the new items – doh!

Pushnote

The one tool I have not yet used is Pushnote, as it is apparently not compatible with Internet Explorer.  However, after reading the description of it, it does not sound like something that I would be terribly interested in anyway, at least not currently.  I will, however, reserve judgement until I am able to try it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment